Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Communication and how to approach fellow practioners

So things on another blog got me thinking.  It got me thinking on how we treat other practitioners.  I've been trying to do do some self reflection, but every time I try, my mind goes to nap time, so hopefully this post is cogent.(kid up really effing early due to feeling icky)  Inputs caffeine into my blood stream

Some of the dusts ups recently are due to many factors.  Thin skin and the inability to take a cogent critique on one end.  Pedantic overinflated ego's on the other end.

The only thing I got for the thin skin thing is working on feeling more secure in your religious practice.  That in itself is a long detailed post, so I'm gonna work on over inflated ego's.  Everyones guilty at one point or another.  Humble pie is not a very tasty treat, let me tell ya.

It starts with assumptions I believe.  The assumption that someone is not capable in their own right of figuring shit out.  It starts out with someone who is usually right about stuff, thinking they know everything, without doing some time to listen.

Hey smart peeps, you don't got all the answers.  Shut up and ask questions some time.  Figure out if the person is a fresh young thang with no experience, or someone who knows what the hell they are doing.  IF they are a fresh young thang, ask to see if they want your advice, mayhaps the Gods may have it well in hand.

Before you start advising, take some time to get to know the person.  Hell, make a friggen list of questions that discern what level the person is on.  It will help keep you from looking like a know it all ass, some of the time.

What am I talking about.  When meeting new people, don't assume that you are their elder.  Treat them as equal peers.  Soften your language with questions before hardening with the voice of authority and cane waving elder shooing off the idiot kids, off their lawn.  AKA try to not have your head up your own ass, and think it smells like roses.  AKA, questions help in not being a dick.  You may be an annoying twit, but at least you aren't being a dick.

Ok gonna lay down now

No comments:

Post a Comment