Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Ponderings about Columbia, and Rosie the Riveter.

I'm half asleep as I write this.  So who knows what or how this is going to come out of my head.  You have been warned....

John Halstead blog, that he linked on Google plus(Devotional practice with the world at it's center) and the comments on google plus, got me to pondering about Columbia.  She is America's Patron Goddess.  It also helps that I am running Scion, and Columbia is one of the Gods in it.  You can read about Columbias history here:http://xroads.virginia.edu/~cap/liberty/origins.html

I was pondering last night, that I do feel that Rosie and Columbia do qualify for Deity status.  I am more comfy with them as gods then I am of Aines Otherfaith, or the Pop culture stuff.  Columbia has a history(very recent as compared to other Gods) and granted she's seen more of an inspiration then full on devotional, but there is a definite presence.

Rosie also has a presence.  A bad ass, go ahead and try to mess with me one.  She knows what she wants and isn't afraid to get it.  She was forged in war.  She's less ethereal and mental than Columbia is, and more earthy, passionate and lusty.  Though I guess Columbia was also forged in war.  I guess it's her Greek ancestry that makes her feel so distant.

Now I know it can be argued that these are thought forms.  But I think there is more to it.  There is more oomph to these, then just art and the meaningful feelings that come with it.

Dunno, would I consider these two Gods, Yes.  I also feel there is more authenticity to them being Gods then the other arguments I've heard in pop culture Paganism debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment