Friday, October 4, 2013

The beginnings

When people enter Pagandom, they ask where do I start.  Many will say read.  Reading is good, reading gives you knowledge.

However, after many years on this path, I'm going to disagree.  Start with learning how to do healthy conflict resolution.  Start with learning to take criticism healthily.  Start with learning to trust your instinct.  Start with learning how to argue and communicate.  Those are the bones.  

Then start with solid books, not those that look purty or feel purty when you read them.  Start with the Greek maxim know thyself.  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/agora/2013/09/syncretic-electric-looking-at-our-history-part-4-egocentrism-and-our-future/  This is a good post.  (Someone else, which I will edit in later wrote a great post on the Greek maxim know thyself.  I can't remember where it is though.  )

Learn to tell the difference between a bullshit artist, and someone who actually knows their stuff.  Another big wordy word for it is, discernment.  Learn good sources.  

When I first started off, I read the God of the witches by Margaret Murray.  I was in love with it and since it was in the history section of the library I believed it.  Well once upon a time it was a revolutionary thought in history, but it has since been disproven. Ronald Hutton is a much better source.

Most of all though, learn to forgive yourself.  Learn to laugh.  Learn to love.

Laughter and Love
moonwolf23 

No comments:

Post a Comment